When you’re new to the business world, it’s tempting to say yes to everything, try out hundreds of different things only to find that you can’t do it all. It’s a sad fact, but you’re only human and you simply have to choose what you do and don’t spend your time on.
One of the things that consistently gets pushed to the side by new business owners and those who have been around a while is marketing. Social media marketing and content marketing are the big ones. They suffer from business owners either not prioritising or not understanding why these things are important to your business.
This post will show you three of the top reasons why social media marketing for small business is vitally important in the modern world. Then I’ll share some quick tips on how to get started with social media.
Benefits of social media marketing for small business
Build up brand awareness
One of the top benefits of using social media for businesses is to develop awareness for your brand. Ideally, you want people in your industry and market to become familiarised with your name and what you stand for. Familiarity is very valuable in marketing because people tend to go for brands that they’re familiar with when making a purchase decision. Social media marketing is just one piece of the puzzle, but it’s an important one in the modern world.
Promote your products or services
Now for the obvious one, the one that all businesses want really. Yes, social media can promote your products or services. However, a word of warning here. If that’s all you’re posting about, you won’t build a following because you won’t have given people a good enough incentive to follow you. People want value from social media. You won’t give it to them by telling them how great your business is.
You can start engaging with your target market
Where else can you engage with your target customers as a new business? In your shop perhaps, but what if you don’t have a shop? What if you’re an accountancy firm? There aren’t many other options to speak with others in your industry that are as convenient as social media. When you engage, you can show off your brand voice and personality. Decide what that is and maybe experiment. Are you a fun brand, ultra-professional and corporate or casual and friendly? Fun and friendly tend to work better on social media FYI.
Quick tips on how to get started with social media marketing for small business
- Make sure your branding is consistent – Get a quality profile picture of your logo, a header that’s the right size and then alter any colour schemes where applicable (Twitter)
- Post consistently – Aim to post at least once a day per channel. If not, 3-4 times a week.
- Don’t overload people – Consistency is good but don’t aim for as many posts as possible because this gets annoying very quickly.
- Strike a balance between your content and other people’s content – Make sure most of the content you’re sharing isn’t all about you.
- Invest in some fancy graphics – Create blog graphics to share your posts with a photo, create promotional graphics, motivational quote graphics and so on – posts with visuals are more eye-catching and have higher conversion rates. You could hire a graphic designer or get started on Canva if you’re short on cash.
- Share visuals – Mix links and written posts with infographics, videos and photos to add variety and boost conversions and shares.
Are you new to social media marketing for small business? If you would like some help on getting your channels up and running or creating a regular posting flow, you can find more information on my social media marketing services here.